Recipe by Nif
Martha Stewart developed this recipe when she discovered that lemon juice reacts with red-skinned apples and turns them pink. Use the reddest apples you can find and adjust the amount of sugar according to the sweetness of the apples. Enjoy!
- 8 mcintosh apples, red-skinned apples or 8 other tart red apples
- 2⁄3 cup fresh lemon juice (about 4 lemons)
- 1⁄4 cup sugar
Directions See How It's Made
- Quarter the apples, do not peel, and remove the seeds and cores. Place apples in a bowl, add the lemon juice, and toss thoroughly to coat.
- Place the apples, sugar, and 1 cup water in a heavy saucepan. Cover pot, and let simmer over low heat, about 30 minutes, or until the apples break down to a saucelike consistency.
- Remove pot from heat, uncover, and allow apples to cool slightly. Using a rubber scraper, gently push apples through a food mill or wire sieve. Discard the skins. Refrigerate until ready for use.