Prep 5 mins
Cook 20 mins
This one comes out of the Pink Adobe Cookbook. Time does not include time to poach chicken breasts which can be done in advance.
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1⁄2 cup milk
- 1⁄2 cup white wine or 1⁄2 cup vermouth
- 1⁄2 cup chicken broth
- 1 egg yolk, beaten
- 1 dash cayenne pepper
- 1 dash ground pepper
- 1 dash ground nutmeg
- 1 dash ground cloves
- 4 tablespoons fresh mushrooms, chopped
- 1 teaspoon chives, chopped
- 6 chicken breasts, poached
- Preheat oven to 375°F Cut 6 pieces of foil large enough to make an envelope for each cicken breast. Butter the foil with 2 tablespoons of the butter.
- Make a paste with the remaining butter and flour and set aside.
- Mix the milk, wine and chicken broth together in a saucepan and bring to a boil. Add the butter-flour paste and stir until smooth. Reduce heat to low and when boiling has stopped, gently stir in the egg yolk making sure not to let the mixture boil.
- Remove from heat and add cayenne pepper, ground pepper, nutmeg, cloves, mushrooms and chives.
- Lay each chicken breast on a square of buttered foil and divide the sauce evenly over each breast.
- Fold edges of foil and seal being careful to leave a little room for expansion. Bake for 10 minutes.
- Serve wrapped in foil and let your guests open their own.
Very bland. I won't make it again.