Prep 15 mins
Cook 40 mins
Adapted from The Joy of Cooking, but changed some things slightly. Even though it does not use a cake mix, it's VERY EASY.
- 1 (20 ounce) can pineapple slices in juice, DRAINED
- 1 (8 ounce) jar maraschino cherries, DRAINED
- 6 tablespoons butter
- 1 cup light brown sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 2 tablespoons buttermilk
- 1⁄4 teaspoon almond extract
- 1⁄4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup flour
- 3⁄4 cup sugar
- 3⁄4 baking powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄4 salt
- 6 tablespoons butter, room temp
- 6 tablespoons buttermilk
- Preheat oven to 350*.
- Place 7 pineapple slices and about 18 cherries on paper towels and pat dry. Set aside.
- Place first 6 tbsp of butter into a 9-inch round cake pan and place in the oven until butter is melted.
- Remove pan with melted butter and evenly sprinkle with the brown sugar. Place 1 pinepple slice over the brown sugar in the center and the other 6 slices around it. Place cherries (best side down) in between each pineapple ring and spaces between.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the eggs, 2 tbsp buttermilk and extracts with a fork. Set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, mix togtether flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Add the next 6 tbsp of butter and 6 tbsp of butter milk and beat for 1 minute.
- Gradually beat in the egg mixture, about 1/3 at a time, beating for 20 seconds in between each addittion.
- Once all is mixed well, spread evenly over the pineapples and cherries. Bake at 350 for about 35-40 minutes or until toothpick test shows doneness.
- Remove from oven and tilt the pan in all directions to loosen sides. Let cool for 3 minutes before inverting.
- Invert on to a large plate. Use oven mittes and lift off pan. If any fruit remained in the pan, remove it with a fork and replace it. Scrape any leftover butter/brown sugar mixture and pour over cake.
- Cool completely before serving.