Prep 10 mins
Cook 12 mins
A very nice tart and rum flavored dessert. I tried this fantastic recipe in a restaurant in Waikiki and finally developed my own version.
- 1 large fresh pineapple
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 1⁄2 cup dark brown sugar, packed and divided
- 1⁄2 cup dark rum (of your choice)
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 1 cup vanilla ice cream
- Remove pineapple leaves and discard.
- Quarter pineapple lengthwise and cut out and discard cores.
- With a sharp knife, cut fruit from rinds, keeping rinds intact and reserving them.
- Cut pineapple crosswise into 1/4 inch thick slices.
- In a medium size saucepan, melt butter; add 5 tablespoons brown sugar, rum, lemon juice and bring to a light boil.
- Reduce heat and cook over moderate heat for 1 minute, stirring continuously.
- Add pineapple slices, stir to coat and cook for 1 minute, stirring occasionally.
- Preheat broiler to HIGH.
- Line a shallow baking pan with aluminum foil.
- Place reserved rinds in prepared pan and with a fork and a spoon return pineapple pieces to rinds, arranging to near original shape.
- Spoon remaining sauce over pineapple.
- Sprinkle top of pineapple with remaining brown sugar.
- Broil pineapple about 3 inches from broiler elements until slightly charred and heated through, about 6 to 8 minutes.
- Serve pineapple hot with icecream if desired.
I bought a large, but with very little flavor, pineapple the other day and this recipe was what I needed. Extremely tasty. Now I have to improve on the presentation for company.
This is a delicious dessert. Just the right balance of sweetness and fruit acidity. It took no time to prepare, mostly because I substitued slices of a pre-cored and rinded pineapple for the whole pineapple. The presentation wasn't as pretty as this sounds to be, but the taste was great. I used the left-over sauce to heat some bananas and served them over vanilla ice cream, and that also worked well.