Prep 5 mins
Cook 5 hrs
Really interesting sounding chili recipe from Claudia from the Simple Living message boards. She says that 1 cup = 3.5 WW points. Claudia says "* 'So Soya' ground beef comes in a box (in the the produce section of Loblaws where I am in Canada) and is a dry soy product that will absorb the moisture and flavor in a recipe and expand. You could leave this out - it wasn't in the original recipe, but I love to add it." Let me know how it turns out!
- 2 (19 ounce) cans Italian stewed tomatoes, undrained
- 2 (19 ounce) cans red kidney beans, undrained
- 1 (14 ounce) can crushed pineapple, undrained
- 1 (1 1/4 ounce) envelope chili seasoning mix
- 1 onion, diced
- 1 green pepper, diced
- 2 cups carrots, diced
- 2 cups mushrooms, sliced
- 1 cup so soya tofu crumbles (see above comments)
- Put all ingredients except "So Soya" ground beef in a large pot and simmer, covered, on low for 4 hours, stirring frequently.
- Take cover off, add "So Soya" ground beef and let simmer until the desired consistency is reached, approximately 1 hour, stirring frequently.
We made this for dinner last night. It was great. We left out the mushroom because of an allergy. I wasn't able to get So Soya so we just added a cup of Frontier Bulk Soy Textured Protein (1/4" Pieces), CERTIFIED ORGANIC, 1 lb. package instead. This turned out wonderful and my father who doesn't eat animal products was able to enjoy dinner at my house for a change. Thanks!