Prep 20 mins
Cook 50 mins
From Bon Appetit, October 2008.
For the Topping
- nonstick vegetable cooking spray
- 2⁄3 cup packed golden brown sugar
- 1⁄2 cup unsalted butter
- 2 tablespoons frozen pineapple concentrate, thawed
- 1 teaspoon light molasses
- 1 ripe pineapple, peeled
For the Cake
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 1⁄4 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 3⁄4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 cup unsalted butter, room temperature
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1⁄2 cup light molasses
- 1⁄2 cup canned pumpkin puree
- 1⁄2 cup boiling water
- whipped cream
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Spray 9x9x2 inch metal baking pan with nonstick spray. Combine sugar, butter, pineapple juice concentrate, and molasses in heavy small saucepan. Bring to a boil over medium heat, whisking until sugar dissolves adn syrup is smooth; boil 1 minute. Pour evenly into prepared pan.
- Cut off on 1/3-inch thick round from pineapple; cut out core. Place round in syrup in pan. Stand pineapple on end. Cut lengthwise into 1/3-inch thick slices. Using 3 round cutters of different sizes, cut out rounds from pineapple slices, avoiding core. Arrange rounds close together in single layer in free-form design in syrup.
- Whisk first 6 ingredients for the cake together in a medium bowl. Beat butter in large bowl until fluffy. Add sugar and beat to blend. Beat in eggs, 1 at a time. Beat in molasses, then pumpkin. Beat in dry ingredients just until blended, occasionally scraping down sides of bowl. Beat in 1/2 cup boiling water. Pour batter evenly into pan.
- Bake cake until tester inserted into center comes out clean, about 50 minutes. Cool cake in pan 45 minutes. Place platter over pan and invert. Let stand 5 minutes. Gently lift off pan. Serve cake warm or at room temperature with whipped cream.