Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
This is a spicy island twist to plain-jane Pineapple Upside Down cake (or Carrot Cake--depending on how you look at it!). Adding pudding to the mix adds an extra moistness to the cake while the coconut oil makes it just a tad healthier than using regular oil (while adding a subtle island feel!).
- Preheat oven to 350.
- Put 2 blobs of Coconut Oil on the bottom of your baking pan. Put in oven that is preheating for about a minute or less (just to melt it).
- Remove from oven. Sprinkle on brown sugar until Coconut oil is absorbed.
- Sprinkle on pecan halves & coconut flakes according to preference.
- Spread drained pineapple chunks over mixture, reserve a few chunks in the juice to add to cake batter later.
- Cake Batter:.
- Combine Carrot Cake mix, french vanilla pudding, and pineapple juice (use it to replace the amount of water recommended on the box. Higher altitudes may call for more juice than you have, make up the difference with water).
- Add Coconut oil according to amount recommended on box (high altitude climates need less).
- Put pecans in a bag and use a hard object to smash them into smaller pieces. Add to batter.
- Mix. Add 3 eggs. Mix some more.
- When done, pour over the mixture in your baking dish, pop in the oven for about 30-40 minutes, and viola! Done!
- Buen Provecho! :).