1 hr 35 mins
1 hr 15 mins
Sydney Mike's Note:
This is a suggested -- and very decadent -- variation of my Outrageous Carrot Cake recipe!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
For the Upside Down Topping
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter, melted
- 2/3 cup brown sugar, packed
- 1 (20 ounce) can sliced pineapple, drained
- 1 (6 ounce) jar maraschino cherries
For the Carrot Cake
- 2 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3 eggs, room temperature
- 3/4 cup vegetable oil
- 3/4 cup low-fat buttermilk
- 2 cups granulated sugar
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 (8 ounce) can crushed pineapple, well drained
- 4 1/2 cups carrots, grated
- 1 1/2 cups walnuts, chopped
- 1 1/2 cups coconut, grated
- 2 cups golden raisins, chopped
For the Glaze
- 1Preheat oven to 350 degrees F, then grease & flour a 13"x9" glass baking dish.
- 2FOR THE TOPPING: Spread melted butter evenly into bottom of prepared baking dish.
- 3Sprinkle brown sugar evenly over melted butter.
- 4Arrange pineapple slices over brown sugar & place a cherry in center of each slice.
- 5FOR THE CAKE: In large bowl, whisk or sift together flour, baking soda, cinnamon & salt, then set aside.
- 6In medium bowl, beat eggs, then add oil, buttermilk, sugar & vanilla, blending well.
- 7Add egg mixture to dry ingredients, mixing thoroughly.
- 8Stir in crushed pineapple, carrots, walnuts, coconut & raisins, mixing well.
- 9Pour into prepared baking dish & bake at least 65-70 minutes or until toothpick inserted in middle comes out clean.
- 10FOR THE GLAZE: About 10 minutes before cake is done, in saucepan mix sugar, buttermilk, baking soda, corn syrup & butter.
- 11Bring to boil & boil 5 minutes.
- 12Remove from heat & add vanilla.
- 13Remove cake from oven & with a skewer or knife poke a number of holes into the hot cake, making sure holes reach bottom of cake.
- 14Slowly pour hot glaze over hot cake, carefully spreading it all over cake until it is absorbed.
- 15Let cake cool 15-20 minutes on wire rack, then carefully invert it into a 15"x10" baking dish [or onto large platter].
- 16Refrigerate when completely cooled. DO NOT REHEAT!
Browse Our Top Dessert Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Pineapple Upside Down Outrageous Carrot Cake
Serving Size: 1 (166 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 24
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 449.4
- Calories from Fat 196
- Total Fat 21.7 g
- Saturated Fat 8.3 g
- Cholesterol 42.2 mg
- Sodium 224.1 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 62.8 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.4 g
- Sugars 46.9 g
- Protein 4.7 g