Prep 20 mins
Cook 1 hr 15 mins
This is a suggested -- and very decadent -- variation of my Outrageous Carrot Cake recipe!
Make and share this Pineapple Upside Down Outrageous Carrot Cake recipe from Food.com.
For the Upside Down Topping
- 1⁄4 cup unsalted butter, melted
- 2⁄3 cup brown sugar, packed
- 1 (20 ounce) cansliced pineapple, drained
- 1 (6 ounce) jar maraschino cherries
For the Carrot Cake
- 2 1⁄4 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 3 eggs, room temperature
- 3⁄4 cup vegetable oil
- 3⁄4 cup low-fat buttermilk
- 2 cups granulated sugar
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 (8 ounce) can crushed pineapple, well drained
- 4 1⁄2 cups carrots, grated
- 1 1⁄2 cups walnuts, chopped
- 1 1⁄2 cups coconut, grated
- 2 cups golden raisins, chopped
For the Glaze
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1⁄2 cup low-fat buttermilk
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 tablespoon light corn syrup
- 1⁄2 cup unsalted butter
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F, then grease & flour a 13"x9" glass baking dish.
- FOR THE TOPPING: Spread melted butter evenly into bottom of prepared baking dish.
- Sprinkle brown sugar evenly over melted butter.
- Arrange pineapple slices over brown sugar & place a cherry in center of each slice.
- FOR THE CAKE: In large bowl, whisk or sift together flour, baking soda, cinnamon & salt, then set aside.
- In medium bowl, beat eggs, then add oil, buttermilk, sugar & vanilla, blending well.
- Add egg mixture to dry ingredients, mixing thoroughly.
- Stir in crushed pineapple, carrots, walnuts, coconut & raisins, mixing well.
- Pour into prepared baking dish & bake at least 65-70 minutes or until toothpick inserted in middle comes out clean.
- FOR THE GLAZE: About 10 minutes before cake is done, in saucepan mix sugar, buttermilk, baking soda, corn syrup & butter.
- Bring to boil & boil 5 minutes.
- Remove from heat & add vanilla.
- Remove cake from oven & with a skewer or knife poke a number of holes into the hot cake, making sure holes reach bottom of cake.
- Slowly pour hot glaze over hot cake, carefully spreading it all over cake until it is absorbed.
- Let cake cool 15-20 minutes on wire rack, then carefully invert it into a 15"x10" baking dish [or onto large platter].
- Refrigerate when completely cooled. DO NOT REHEAT!
I made this just the way it says. It came out great! I have made it three times, and every time it gets great comments. The ladies at work request it for our pot lucks.
I made quite a few subs. and it still turned out good. Very moist (I prob. should have cooked it a bit longer than 70 min.) Used margarine, w.w. pastry flour, olive oil, honey for the sugar in the cake, 1 C walnuts, 1 C raisins. Now I realize, I forgot the sugar in the glaze! :oops: It would only make it better. Less sugar this way. :) I reduced the amounts of the buttermilk and the oil bcz of using honey, but it still came out VERY moist. The prep time is quite a bit more than 20 minutes (at least for me.)