Recipe by AZPARZYCH
I cut this out of a magazine or ad of some sort. Finally tried them and they are the perfect portion for a sweet dessert. I filled the muffin cups to the top with batter and did not have a problem with spilling; they actually spread out instead of up so they had a flat "top" to sit on once you flip them. (I used a yellow cake so the amounts for the juice, melted butter and eggs is based on that--use what is required based on the cake mix you use)
Top Review by mummamills
these turned out very well! only had a caramel cake mix, so I didnt add the pineapple juice.<br/>I cut a small piece from each pinapple ring, so that the ring sat flat in my texas muffin tins. I chopped up the others and cooked them in silicone patty cake cups. The only thing I would change is to add a little less butter next time, as it bubbled around the muffin and made them go lopsided. :) small price to pay for the great taste :)<br/>made for Aussie swap May 2013
- 2 (20 ounce) cans pineapple slices (reserve juice)
- 1⁄2 cup margarine or 1⁄2 cup butter, melted
- 2⁄3 cup packed brown sugar
- 9 maraschino cherries, cut in half
- 1 (18 1/4 ounce) box cake mix (yellow or pineapple)
- 1 cup pineapple juice
- 1⁄3 cup melted butter
- 3 eggs
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees.
- Drain pineapple, reserving juice.
- Mix melted butter or margarine and brown sugar.
- Evenly divide sugar mixture (about 1 1/2 tsp each) into 18 muffin cups (not minis) sprayed with cooking spray.
- Press lightly drained pineapple slices into sugar mixture.
- Place cherries in center of pineapple, cut side up.
- Prepare cake mix according to box, replacing water with the reserved pineapple juice.
- Pour 1/3 cup batter into each muffin cup.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes or until tester inserted comes out clean.
- Cool 5 minutes or until cool enough to handle.
- *Use knife to run around edges to loosen cakes and invert onto cookie sheet. -OR- I just let them sit for five minutes and then flipped the pan upside down on a cookie sheet and they fell right out.*.