Prep 15 mins
Cook 45 mins
From Epicurious. For DH.
Make and share this Pineapple Upside-Down Gingerbread Cake recipe from Food.com.
- 59.14 ml unsalted butter
- 158.51 ml packed golden brown sugar
- 2 (1133.98 g) can pineapple chunks in heavy syrup, drained, patted dry with paper towels
- 473.18 ml all-purpose flour
- 14.79 ml unsweetened cocoa powder
- 7.39 ml ground ginger
- 4.92 ml ground cinnamon
- 4.92 ml baking soda
- 3.69 ml salt
- 2.46 ml ground nutmeg
- 2.46 ml ground cloves
- 177.44 ml mild-flavored molasses (light)
- 118.29 ml packed golden brown sugar
- 118.29 ml unsalted butter, melted
- 2 large eggs
- 4.92 ml vanilla extract
- 177.44 ml whole milk
- 29.58 ml minced crystallized ginger
- 236.59 ml whipping cream, beaten to soft peaks
- For topping: Preheat oven to 350°F Melt 1/4 cup butter in 10-inch-diameter cast-iron skillet or other heavy ovenproof skillet (preferably nonstick) over medium heat. Add 2/3 cup brown sugar and stir until mixture begins to form thick mass, about 4 minutes. Continue cooking, without stirring, until butter mixture spreads and covers bottom of skillet and bubbles appear all over surface, about 6 minutes longer. Remove skillet from heat. Arrange pineapple chunks close together in concentric circles atop sugar mixture in skillet.
- For cake: Sift first 8 ingredients into medium bowl. Using electric mixer, beat molasses, golden brown sugar, melted butter, eggs and vanilla extract in large bowl until well blended, about 2 minutes.
- Add half of dry ingredients, then whole milk, then remaining half of dry ingredients, beating until well blended after each addition.
- Beat in crystallized ginger. Spread batter evenly over pineapple in skillet.
- Bake cake until tester inserted into center comes out clean, about 40 minutes.
- Cool cake in skillet 5 minutes. Run small knife around sides of skillet to loosen cake.
- Place platter over cake in skillet; invert cake onto platter. Cool cake at least 1 hour. Serve slightly warm or at room temperature with whipped cream.