Prep 10 mins
Cook 20 mins
Enjoy with a huge mug of coffee and some bacon on the side.
Make and share this Pineapple Upside Down French Toast recipe from Food.com.
- Preheat oven to 400F.
- In a saucepan, melt butter over moderate heat and stir in sugar until dissolved.
- Add pineapple, stirring well to incorporate.
- In a bowl, whisk together eggs, milk, half and half, reserved pineapple juice, salt, cinnamon and vanilla.
- Lightly grease a 13 x 9 pan and spread pineapple mixture evenly over bottom.
- Dip bread slices into milk mixture and arrange in one layer on top of pineapple mixture.
- Bake french toast in middle of oven 20-25 minutes or until bread is golden.
- French toast can be made a day ahead of time, covered with plastic wrap and stored in the refrigerator.
- Serves 4.
DH and I enjoyed this version of French toast for breakfast. I had to use fresh pineapple chunks so I prepared it a little differently. I put the hot pieces of pineapple in my baking dish (lined with parchment paper) poured the butter,sugar and juice mixture over the pineapple, I added a few macadamia nuts and then placed the dipped bread slices on top. I used multigrain bread to replace the French bread, it tasted great! When it was baked I flipped the whole thing over onto a serving dish and removed the paper, it worked perfectly! I used the remaining egg mixture to dip additional bread slices and fried them in butter until golden, I will freeze them for another day. Served with crispy bacon; what a great combination of flavours, salty bacon, sweet sauce and tart pineapple and a hint of cinnamon!! I will definitely make this again. Thanks Bliss!