Taken from the Duncan Hines website (credited to Stacy3099), these were a hit at our Thanksgiving gathering. Be forewarned: this made 24 regular sized cupcakes AND 12 mini cupcakes (<---the minis were ONLY batter: no pineapple, cherry, butter or brown sugar.) Mine baked for about 25 minutes, as I preheated the oven to 350, then dropped it to 325 after putting them in the oven! Enjoy!
- 1 duncan hines pineapple supreme cake mix
- oil, and eggs called for on cake mix box
- pineapple juice, in place of water called for on box (you don't have to use pineapple juice, I just think it enhances the flavor!)
- 1 (20 ounce) can pineapple tidbits (save the juice!)
- 1 1⁄2 cups light brown sugar
- 1⁄2 cup butter, melted
- 24 maraschino cherries
- Mix the cake as directed on box, substitute pineapple juice from the canned pineapple in place of water called for in recipe. (Optional).
- Melt the butter.
- Spray cupcake pan with cooking spray. (Do not use paper liners!).
- Place one teaspoon of melted butter in the bottom of each cup of the pan.
- Add one tablespoon of brown sugar on top of the melted butter.
- Place one cherry in the center.
- Scatter the tidbits around the cherry to form a circle.
- Add cake mix on top of the pineapple. (3/4 full).
- Bake for 18-20 minutes or until cupcakes are cooked.
- Let the pan cool on a cooling rack for about 5 minutes.
- Run a knife along the inside edge.
- Invert cupcake pan on the cooling rack.
- Some of the brown sugar and pineapple might stay behind in the pan, just scrap it out and lay it on top of the cupcakes.