Recipe by TeksGlutes
Another great cupcake from the coconutlime blog, by Rachel Rappaport: http://coconutlime.blogspot.com/2006/04/pineapple-upside-down-cupcakes.html
- 1⁄4 cup sugar
- 1⁄4 cup butter, at room temperature
- 1 cup flour
- 1 egg, at room temperature
- 1⁄2 cup pineapple juice
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1⁄4 cup butter
- 1⁄4 cup light brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon light corn syrup
- 20 ounces canned pineapple rings, in
- 100% pineapple juice, drain and reserve juice for batter
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350.
- Butter or spray (with cooking spray with flour) 10 holes in a cupcake pan.
- Cut a 1/2 inch chunk out of 10 pineapple slices and place the slices (not the little chunks) individually in 10 cupcake holes. They should lie flat in the pan and look like a "whole" ring again.
- In a small saucepan, melt and stir together butter, brown sugar and corn syrup.
- Cook over low heat about 5 minutes or until it thickens slightly. Stir thoroughly to combine.
- Pour about one teaspoon of this topping into the bottom of each pineapple ring covered cupcake hole.
- In a medium sized mixing bowl, cream together the butter and the sugar until fluffy.
- Add the egg and vanilla and mix thoroughly.
- Add the baking powder, mix briefly then add the flour alternately with the pineapple juice.
- Pour about 1/3 to 1/2 cup of batter over each pineapple slice and bake for 20 minutes.
- Cool 20 minutes in pan then invert over a baking rack.
- You may want to place parchment paper or a towel under the rack because they may drip.
- Serve on a plate, pineapple side up.