Prep 15 mins
Cook 40 mins
A delectable twist on the classic. Pineapple packed in its own juice combines with a rich buttery corn meal cake to create a fresh flavor and moist texture that brings this favorite into a new age.
- 1⁄4 cup butter
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 1 (15 1/4 ounce) can crushed pineapple, packed in pineapple juice, drained
- 2 (7 ounce) packagesmartha white sweet yellow cornbread mix
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1⁄4 cup sugar
- 1 cup milk
- 1 large egg, beaten
- 1⁄2 cup butter, melted
- 1⁄2 cup sour cream
- whipped cream
- HEAT oven to 325ºF. Melt 1/4 cup butter in 10-inch cast iron skillet. Remove from heat; stir in 1/2 cup sugar and pineapple; spread evenly.
- COMBINE mix, nutmeg, 1/4 cup sugar, milk, egg, 1/2 cup butter and sour cream in medium bowl. Stir just until blended. Pour batter over pineapple in skillet.
- BAKE 35 to 40 minutes or until golden brown. Remove from oven. Loosen edges of cake. Place serving plate on top of skillet; carefully invert cake onto plate. Serve topped with whipped cream, if desired.