Prep 30 mins
Cook 1 hr
- 1⁄4 cup butter
- 2⁄3 cup firmly packed brown sugar
- 1 (20 ounce) can pineapple slices in juice, drained
- 7 maraschino cherries (without stems)
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1⁄2 cup vegetable oil
- 2 large eggs
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 3⁄4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 1⁄2 cups grated carrots
- 1⁄2 cup finely chopped pecans
- Preheat oven to 350°. Melt butter in a lightly greased 10-inch cast-iron skillet or a 9-inch round cake pan (with sides that are at least 2 inches high) over low heat.
- Remove from heat.
- Sprinkle with brown sugar.
- Arrange 7 pineapple slices in a single layer over brown sugar, reserving remaining pineapple slices for another use.
- Place 1 cherry in center of each pineapple slice.
- Beat granulated sugar, oil, and eggs at medium speed with an electric mixer until blended.
- Combine flour and next 4 ingredients; gradually add to sugar mixture, beating at low speed just until blended.
- Stir in carrots and pecans. Spoon batter over pineapple slices.
- Bake at 350° for 45 to 50 minutes or until a wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean.
- Cool in skillet on a wire rack 10 minutes.
- Carefully run a knife around edge of cake to loosen.
- Invert cake onto a serving plate, spooning any topping in skillet over cake.