Recipe by internetnut
I have not tried this recipe. I got this recipe from Ossg Recipes. This recipe is from Favorite Brand Name Diabetic Cooking. Dietary Exchanges: 1 1/2 starch, 1 fat.
- 14 ounces unsweetened crushed pineapple in juice, undrained
- 1⁄4 cup pecan pieces (optional)
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 3⁄4 teaspoons Equal sugar substitute, measure (I used an alternative brand brown or 6 packets Equal sugar substitute) or 1⁄4 cup Equal Spoonful (I used an alternative brand brown or 6 packets Equal sugar substitute)
- 1 teaspoon cornstarch
- 4 tablespoons margarine, at room temperature
- 3 1⁄3 teaspoons Equal sugar substitute, measure (12 packets) or 12 teaspoons Equal sugar substitute or 1⁄2 cup Equal Spoonful (I used an alternative brand sugar substitute as I do not like the flavor Equal gives when baked)
- 1 egg
- 1 cup cake flour
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1⁄8 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1⁄3 cup buttermilk
Directions See How It's Made
- Drain pineapple, reserving 1/4 cup juice. Mix pineapple, pecans, 1.
- tablespoon lemon juice, 1/4 cup sugar substitute and cornstarch in bottom of a 8-inch square or 9-inch round cake pan; spread mixture evenly in pan.
- Beat margarine and 1/2 cup sugar substitute in medium bowl until fluffy;.
- beat in egg. Combine flour, baking powder, baking soda and spices in small.
- bowl. Add to margarine mixture alternately with buttermilk, 1/4 cup reserved.
- pineapple juice and remaining 1 tablespoon lemon juice, beginning and ending with dry ingredients.
- Spread batter over pineapple mixture in pan. Bake in a preheated 350 degree oven until browned and toothpick inserted in center comes out clean, about 25 minutes. Invert cake immediately onto serving plate. Serve warm or at room temperature.
- Note: If desired, maraschino cherry halves may be placed in bottom of cake.
- pan with pineapple mixture.