Recipe by angelfan
Making this in an iron skillet is very handy and everyone thinks it makes for good flavor too.
Top Review by Potluck Genie...
I've now made this recipe on three occasions and have been very pleased with the results each time. I do put a circle of parchment paper on the bottom of the pan, and each time the cake falls onto the plate without breaking up. I added a tsp. of vanilla as someone else suggested, and used a quarter cup of juice to go with a half cup of milk. The first cake I made using pineapple, second occasion with blueberries, and now have one cooling made with apples. I used a fairly large iron skillet, and it turns out just the right size cake I was looking for. A big thanks for posting the recipe Angelfan....
- 1⁄4 cup butter
- 2⁄3 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 (20 ounce) cansliced pineapple, drained
- 1 1⁄3 cups flour
- 1 cup sugar
- 1⁄3 cup shortening
- 3⁄4 cup milk
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 large egg
- maraschino cherry, if desired
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Melt butter in iron skillet.
- Sprinkle brown sugar over butter.
- Arrange pineapple slices on top brown sugar/butter.
- Place cherries in center of slices.
- Beat remaining ingredients till well blended.
- Pour over pineapple in skillet and bake for 35 to 45 minutes or until tooth pick inserted comes out clean.
- Remove from oven and turn onto heat-proof plate.