Prep 15 mins
Cook 40 mins
Making this in an iron skillet is very handy and everyone thinks it makes for good flavor too.
- 1⁄4 cup butter
- 2⁄3 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 (20 ounce) cansliced pineapple, drained
- 1 1⁄3 cups flour
- 1 cup sugar
- 1⁄3 cup shortening
- 3⁄4 cup milk
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 large egg
- maraschino cherry, if desired
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Melt butter in iron skillet.
- Sprinkle brown sugar over butter.
- Arrange pineapple slices on top brown sugar/butter.
- Place cherries in center of slices.
- Beat remaining ingredients till well blended.
- Pour over pineapple in skillet and bake for 35 to 45 minutes or until tooth pick inserted comes out clean.
- Remove from oven and turn onto heat-proof plate.
I've now made this recipe on three occasions and have been very pleased with the results each time. I do put a circle of parchment paper on the bottom of the pan, and each time the cake falls onto the plate without breaking up. I added a tsp. of vanilla as someone else suggested, and used a quarter cup of juice to go with a half cup of milk. The first cake I made using pineapple, second occasion with blueberries, and now have one cooling made with apples. I used a fairly large iron skillet, and it turns out just the right size cake I was looking for. A big thanks for posting the recipe Angelfan....
I made it in a regular baking pan, and it was fabulous. I think next time I will pour some of the pineapple juice into the batter to give it more of a pineapple flavor though.
Oh My! My Mother used to make her cake the same way in an iron skillet! But I did not have her recipe. So glad I found this one. Thanks for your kind words! PEACE RHONDA : )