Prep 30 mins
Cook 25 mins
A delicious gluten-free pineapple upside down cake!
- 1 1⁄2 cups rice flour
- 3⁄4 cup Bob's Red Mill gluten-free all-purpose baking flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 3 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon xanthan gum
- 4 eggs
- 1 1⁄4 cups white sugar
- 2⁄3 cup mayonnaise (Miracle Whip)
- 1 cup milk or 1 cup lactose-free milk
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1⁄2 cup butter (or margarine)
- 1 1⁄2 cups brown sugar
- 1 (20 ounce) cansliced pineapple
- 16 maraschino cherries
- Melt the butter and divide between two 8" cake pans.
- Sprinkle the brown sugar evenly to cover the butter (divided as well).
- Next, arrange pineapple rings around the bottom of the pans, one layer deep (I had 5 rings per pan). Place a maraschino cherry into the center of each pinapple ring (and a few in the middle if you would like).
- Prepare the cake mix as directed above. Pour the batter over the pineapple layer (dividing the batter between the two pans).
- Bake for 25-30 minutes at 350 degrees F (or as directed cake mix directions). Cool for 5 minutes, then carefully turn out onto a plate. Do not let the cake coo too much, or it will be stuck to the pan.
Best from scratch GF cake(s) I've ever made, and I've been baking GF & DF for 16 years! We used cast iron griddles, Bob's Red Mill GF flour blend, Mexican vanilla, unsweetened almond milk, and Trader Joe's unsweetened mayo. Added a tsp of princess flavoring for cakes. Absolutely fantastic. Thanks for the recipe, Matt!
OMG! Delicious!! Everyone loved this, even people who weren't GF ;)
I did add a teaspoon of cake enhancer, which I picked up at whole foods and I feel usually helps give GF cake a little extra spring. Thank you for the recipe!!
I made this recipe for a graduation, 2 cakes. I didn't use the xantham gum and made it kosher by using the margarine, lactose free milk, and smart balance mayo spread. i also substituted fresh pineapple slices instead of canned for a cleaner taste since it was already going to be really sweet. EVERYONE LOVED IT!!! It was such a hit! The only thing to be concerned about is the time to cook, it didn't seem done, even with extra time, so you may need to keep it in the oven longer.