Recipe by mattdegasperi
A delicious gluten-free pineapple upside down cake!
Top Review by SIAS a.
Best from scratch GF cake(s) I've ever made, and I've been baking GF & DF for 16 years! We used cast iron griddles, Bob's Red Mill GF flour blend, Mexican vanilla, unsweetened almond milk, and Trader Joe's unsweetened mayo. Added a tsp of princess flavoring for cakes. Absolutely fantastic. Thanks for the recipe, Matt!
- 1 1⁄2 cups rice flour
- 3⁄4 cup Bob's Red Mill gluten-free all-purpose baking flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 3 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon xanthan gum
- 4 eggs
- 1 1⁄4 cups white sugar
- 2⁄3 cup mayonnaise (Miracle Whip)
- 1 cup milk or 1 cup lactose-free milk
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1⁄2 cup butter (or margarine)
- 1 1⁄2 cups brown sugar
- 1 (20 ounce) cansliced pineapple
- 16 maraschino cherries
Directions See How It's Made
- Melt the butter and divide between two 8" cake pans.
- Sprinkle the brown sugar evenly to cover the butter (divided as well).
- Next, arrange pineapple rings around the bottom of the pans, one layer deep (I had 5 rings per pan). Place a maraschino cherry into the center of each pinapple ring (and a few in the middle if you would like).
- Prepare the cake mix as directed above. Pour the batter over the pineapple layer (dividing the batter between the two pans).
- Bake for 25-30 minutes at 350 degrees F (or as directed cake mix directions). Cool for 5 minutes, then carefully turn out onto a plate. Do not let the cake coo too much, or it will be stuck to the pan.