Prep 20 mins
Cook 40 mins
I took this recipe from about 3 different recipes I had around the house.I f you can get some coconut butter, use it to replace the shortening! The coconut flavor in the butter adds to the cake and makes it quite tasty!
- 1 fresh pineapple, cored and sliced
- 2⁄3 cup pineapple juice
- 1⁄2 cup pecan pieces
- 7 tablespoons butter
- 3⁄4 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 1⁄2 cups flour
- 2 1⁄2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄3 cup shortening or 1⁄3 cup coconut butter
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons vanilla
- In small sauce pan melt butter, and add brown sugar and 1 tbs pineapple juice.
- Arrange pineapple and pecans in cake pan and pour butter sauce over top.
- In small bowl combine flour, baking powder, and salt.
- In larger bowl add shortening, beat with mixer for 30 seconds, add sugar, beat 1 min, add egg, and vanilla, until blended.
- Start adding flour mixture and 3/4 cup pineapple juice to the wet mixture, a little at a time, then spread into pan.
- Bake at 350°F for about 40 minutes. Let cool 10 minutes before turning over on plate.
This was an excellent recipe. I was looking for one I used many years ago and lost. This was very close. The only thing not mentioned is to be sure and take it up from the pan immediately as it caramalizes and sticks.
EXCELLENT idea with the coconut butter! I don't even care to try it another way. Fantastic recipe - thanks for posting it. :)
I made this cake and it came out really moist, and tasty. The only thing I did wrong is put it in a pan that had a removable bottom, my fault, but the butter mixture seeped out of it. Even so, the cake tasted great. Also, I managed to flip it upside down and land half in the plate and half off :( again my fault! Have printed it out and having attempt number two tomorrow! Thanks for the recipe