Prep 15 mins
Cook 35 mins
I love this recipe because it is low in fat and still tastes great!!!!!!
- 6 tablespoons fat-free margarine
- 2 tablespoons packed light brown sugar
- 20 ounces canned pineapple, packed in juice
- 7 maraschino cherries
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 3⁄4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄2 cup fat free skim milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 2 large eggs (s)
- Preheat oven to 305 degresses.
- Drain pineapple and reserve 2 tablespoons of juice; set aside.
- Melt 2 tablespoons of margarine and pour into the bottom of a 9-inch round cake pan.
- Top margarine with brown sugar and, using a fork, swirl together to make an even layer.
- Place 1 pineapple ring in the center of the pan and arrange 6 more rings around it.
- Place cherry halves, cut side up, in the center of each ring and in the spaces between rings; set aside.
- In a medium bowl, combine flour, baking powder and baking soda, set aside.
- In a small bow.
- combine milk, 2 tablespoons of margarine and granulated sugar.
- Add eggs, one at a time, mixing well after each addition.
- Add flour mixture and milk mixture in small batches, alternating each and beginning and ending with flour mixture; mix until blended.
- pour batter over pineapple in pan.
- Bake until wooden toothpick near center of cake comes out clean.
- about 30-35 minutes.
- Cool 2 minutes in pan, invert pan onto a serving plate and serve warm or at room temperature.
* Read thru instructions before attempting. * I did not and for whatever reason, my cake was a bomb and thrown into the trash. The instructions don't make sense. Frustrating waste of time & $-- my fault for not reading thru beforehand.
While this cake tastes great and is decently healthly, the writing of the recipe can be abit confusing. The vanilla extract and pineapple juice are in the recipe but you are not told exactly what to do with them or when.
For low fat this wasn't too bad but it tasted dried out at room temperature. We microwaved it for a few seconds and that helped a lot. It was easy and since my family is watching what they eat it fit the bill nicely.