This recipe is by far the best Pineapple Upside Down cake that I've ever made. It is also quick and easy. The cake is very moist and rises much higher than the average recipe. The combination of pineapple cake mix and pineapple juice isn't overwhelming either. I've been meaning to edit this for ages, however it looks so much better if you use dark brown sugar. Also if you'd like more topping, use 3/4 cup butter with 1 1/2 cups dark brown sugar.
- 1⁄2 cup butter
- 1 cup packed dark brown sugar
- 1 (20 ounce) cansliced pineapple
- 6 maraschino cherries, cut in half lengthwise
- 1 (18 ounce) packageduncan hines supreme pineapple cake mix
- 1 (4 ounce) box vanilla instant pudding mix
- 1 cup pineapple juice, from canned pineapple with a bit of water added
- 1⁄2 cup canola oil
- 4 eggs
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Melt butter in a 9x13 pan in oven.
- Sprinkle brown sugar evenly over butter in pan.
- Drain canned pineapple into a measuring cup.
- Place pineapple slices evenly in pan, cutting the last two in half to cover pan.
- Place the maraschino cherry halves in the center of the pineapple slices, cut side up.
- Combine the rest of ingredients in a large mixing bowl on slow speed for 30 seconds.
- Beat on medium speed for 2 minutes.
- Pour batter into pan.
- Bake for 45 to 55 minutes, or until a toothpick comes out clean.
- Cool 5 minutes and turn cake out onto a serving platter, pineapple side up.