Prep 15 mins
Cook 50 mins
Just like Gramma used to make for me only much simpler now! Still takes me back to my younger day in her kitchen though!
- 1 (18 ounce) package yellow cake mix, prepared according to package directions (I like butter mix)
- 3 eggs (or as called for by your cake mix)
- 1⁄3 cup oil (or as called for by your cake mix)
- 1 1⁄3 cups water (or as called for by your cake mix)
- 1⁄2 cup margarine
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 (20 ounce) can pineapple slices, drained
- 10 maraschino cherries, cut in halves
- Preheat oven to 375°F.
- Place margarine in 13x9 pan and place in oven while preheating.
- Watch so that it melts but does not burn.
- Remove pan from oven.
- Sprinkle brown sugar evenly in pan.
- Arrange pineapple slices in the sugar.
- Easiest method is 4 down the middle and 3 on each side of that.
- Place cherry half, rounded side down in the middle of each ring.
- Pour cake mix carefully over the fruit.
- Bake at 375°F for 45-55 minutes until toothpick in center comes out clean.
- Let stand 5 minutes to let topping slightly set.
- Place large platter or cookie sheet over cake and carefully turn upside down.
- Let stand a few minutes for the topping to run out.
- Remove pan and cool completely.
- Great served slightly warm with whipping cream.
This recipe was wonderful! The cake was so moist and very delicious!
Yummy, we loved this pineapple up-side-down cake. I used a jiffy yellow cake mix and a whole can of chunked pineapple, Worked great. I did this because there is only 3 of us and we don't need a big cake. Thank you Laurie for the recipe.
VERY good! This is the second time I have made it in a month. Like others, I used the pineapple juice instead of the water. I also had 2 T. of sour cream to use up, I added those to the measuring cup, then added the oil to make the 1/3 cup. Mine was totally done at 45 minutes, so watch your time! Thanks for sharing, LAURIE, this will be made often!