Recipe by SJG3483
When I cut back the amount of butter in this recipe, I was worried that it wouldn't be moist. This was not the case, and it was one of the best pineapple upside-down cakes I'd ever tasted.
Top Review by Zanna_409104061
I actually made this with the exact ingredients but there didn't seem like that much batter...it definitely fit perfectly into one 9-inch cake pan. The cake wasn't all that cakey--more like cake-custard, but of course we ate it all the same, b/c the taste was good.
- 1⁄4 cup butter
- 2⁄3 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 can sliced pineapple (about 10 slices)
- maraschino cherry
- 1 1⁄3 cups flour
- 3⁄4 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 3 tablespoons applesauce
- 1 cup milk
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 egg
Directions See How It's Made
- Melt butter and pour into baking pan (I used an 8-inch round pan and a 5x8 pan) Arrange brown sugar over butter.
- Drain the pineapple, but reserve some of the liquid if you want the cake part to have more of a pineapple flavor Arrange pineapple slices on top of brown sugar and place a cherry in the middle of each slice Mix remaining ingredients until well blended.
- Pour batter over pineapple and bake at 350 for about 45-50 min or until cake is lightly browned on top There may be some excess liquid on the bottom of the cake if you do not drain the pineapple well.
- If so, refrigerate it until it sets.
- When serving, you can flip it over so that the pineapple is on top, or just serve it upside-down.