Prep 15 mins
Cook 40 mins
A very old recipe....now that i have relocated it, will be making it soon. Try it out. Its good!
- 1⁄4 cup butter
- 1⁄2 cup brown sugar
- 8 canned pineapple slices, drained well
- 5 maraschino cherries, halves
- 1 1⁄4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄3 cup shortening or 1⁄3 cup butter
- 2⁄3 cup sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla essence
- 1⁄2 cup orange juice
- Topping: Melt butter in a small skillet on direct heat.
- Add brown sugar and stir until well blended and bubbly.
- Pour into a 9" square baking dish, spreading to cover the bottom.
- (Alternately, microwave butter and brown sugar in a 9" square glass baking dish till well blended and bubbly).
- Arrange pineapple spears and maraschino cherry halves on top of the brown sugar in a sun-burst pattern.
- Chill in refrigerator while preparing batter.
- Batter: Sift together flour, salt and baking powder.
- Cream shortening/butter and sugar in a mixing bowl until light and fluffy.
- Add egg and vanilla and beat until smooth.
- At low speed, and in alternate additions, add in the flour and orange juice, beginning and ending with the flour mixture.
- Beat only until smooth.
- Remove cake pan from the refrigerator and spread batter over topping.
- Bake at 325 degrees for 40 minutes.
- Remove from oven, let stand for 5-10 minutes.
- Invert on a plate and serve warm.
This cake was delish!! However I agree with some that no enough batter and cooking time was longer...I followed all the ingredients except for one...I added fresh squeezed lemon instead of orange juice. I'll have to double the batter next time as this cake will go very fast!
I made this for our Easter dessert and it was a hit. To accomadate our large family, I doubled the recipe and baked the cake in a 12" x 9" pan at 325 for 50 min. It turned out great.
Yummy! I made 1/2 of the recipe, replaced the OJ with pineapple juice, used half sugar and half Splenda and cooked it at 350 for 1 hour. The taste is great! Will make this again!!