Prep 40 mins
Cook 45 mins
From my mother's recipe box. I think the recipe may be from a Good Housekeeping cookbook, but her note was not clear about that.
- 1⁄4 cup butter
- 1⁄2 cup brown sugar
- 1 (8 ounce) can pineapple slices, drained
- 7 maraschino cherries
- 1 1⁄4 cups flour
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 3⁄4 cup milk
- 1⁄3 cup shortening
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Heat oven to 350°F.
- In the oven, melt butter in a 9" round cake pan. Sprinkle with brown sugar. Place pineapple slices over sugar. Add cherries to the center of each pineapple slice.
- Cake Batter: Beat all ingredients on low speed for about 30 seconds, scraping bowl often until combined. Beat on high speed for 3 minutes, scraping bowl as needed. Pour batter into prepared cake pan.
- Bake 45 minutes or until toothpick comes out clean. Invert onto a serving plan -- LEAVE PAN INVERTED A FEW MINUTES BEFORE REMOVING PAN. Serve warm.
This was wonderful. Very moist and didn't last long at my house. I used a brown sugar subsitute. This will be made again soon. A favorite of ours. Thanks for the great recipe.