Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Delicious and moist, this cake is a real winner with everyone. I double this recipe and bake it in a 9x15 pan for my family of 10, it's gone in no time at all.
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted, plus
- 9 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened
- 1⁄2 cup packed brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons light corn syrup
- 1⁄2 pineapple, peeled, cored, cut in half lengthwise and cut crosswise into 1/2-inch slices
- 1 1⁄2 cups pastry flour
- 3⁄4 cup granulated sugar
- 3⁄4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 cup sour cream
- 3 large egg yolks
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Preheat the oven to 325 degrees. Stir together the melted butter, brown sugar and corn syrup and evenly coat the bottom and sides of a 10-inch glass pie plate with the mixture. Arrange pineapple on top.
- In a mixing bowl, combine the pastry flour, granulated sugar, baking powder, baking soda and salt and thoroughly mix. In another bowl, whisk together the softened butter, sour cream, egg yolks and vanilla. Add to the dry ingredients and mix with an electric mixer at medium speed about 1 1/2 minutes, scraping down the sides of the bowl occasionally, until thick and smooth. Using a spatula, spread the batter evenly over the fruit, building up the outside edges so the cake will be level when baked.
- Bake 40 to 50 minutes, until golden brown and a tester inserted in the center comes clean. Transfer to a rack to cool 3 to 5 minutes (no longer) and then invert onto a serving plate, repositioning the fruit as necessary.