Prep 30 mins
Cook 35 mins
This recipe has been in my family for many years and is always a favorite. It is more time consumming than other recipes, but it is worth it. if your looking for a cake that is not overly sweet... this is the cake to try!
- 3 eggs, that have been at room temperature for 15 minutes
- 1 1⁄2 cups white sugar
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 8 pineapple slices (reserve juice to be added later to batter)
- 8 cherries
- 1 1⁄2 cups Soft Silk flour
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1⁄2 cup pineapple juice, from the pineapple slices
- with an electric mixer beat eggs on high until light and fluffy -- GRADUALLY add sugar (very important do not dump sugar in, cake will be tough if you do) continue to beat on high for 3 minutes.
- sift together flour, baking powder, and salt and add to egg/sugar mixture beat on medium for 2 minutes.
- then add vanilla and pineapple juice and beat again 2 minutes.
- in a cast iron skillet melt butter (if you do not have a skillet you can use a 9X13 pan) add heaping cup of brown sugar and press into bottom of pan.
- place pineapple with cherry in center of each on top of brown sugar.
- add the cake batter, being careful not to disrupt the pineapples.
- bake at 350 degrees for 35-40 minutes or until toothpick comes out clean. invert pan immediately onto a plate and cool.
HI brkfst cook Great cake. I did substitute WheyLow sugar substitute (developed for diabetics) and Smart balance for butter. Otherwise exactly the same Delicious. Thank you JUdy inWA