Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr
Basic recipe from an old cookbook. Cooks like a charm every time.
- 1 (15 ounce) can pineapple
- 6 tablespoons butter or 6 tablespoons margarine
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 16 halved maraschino cherries (optional)
- 2⁄3 cup shortening
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 2 eggs
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- Drain the pineapples reserving juice.
- Melt the butter in a 10x13-inch cake pan or microwave and then pour into the pan.
- Add the brown sugar and 2 tbsp of juice to the bottom of the pan and stir with the butter. Add water if necessary to the remaining juice to make 1 cup, and set aside.
- Arrange pineapple in the bottom of the pan.
- Place cherry halves in the center of the pineapple.
- Mix together the remaining ingredients including the juice, in a mixing bowl, and then pour over the pineapples.
- Bake at 350°F for 50-60 minutes. Let cool 10 minutes then invert.
Sounds like one of two things happened in your baking. Either too much juice(sugar)settled in the middle of your pan, or your oven temp is uneven. I would not give up on a great recipe! Things I'd suggest are to cut back a bit on the liquid, and rotate or move the pan half way through cooking. Best to you! Regards, DEEP
I made this for my mom yesterday (Mothers Day). The cake tasted wonderful. The only thing was when I went to turn it out of the pan, the middle of the cake stayed in the pan.