Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Get out your cast iron skillet for this favorite comfort food dessert. Instead of cake batter base, this clever recipe soaks bread in a sweet egg custard before baking.
- 2 large eggs, beaten
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 (20 ounce) can pineapple tidbits, undrained
- 8 cups white bread, cubes
- 1⁄2 cup butter or 1⁄2 cup margarine
- 1 cup firmly packed brown sugar
- 1 (6 ounce) jar maraschino cherries, drained and cut in half (about 1/2 cup)
- 1⁄2 cup coarsely chopped pecans
- Combine eggs, 1/2 cup sugar, and vanilla in a large bowl; stir well.
- Drain pineapple, reserving the juice.
- Add juice to egg mixture; add bread crumbs and toss gently.
- Melt butter in a 9 or 10-inch cast iron skillet over medium low heat. Remove 3 tablespoons of the melted butter and add it to bread mixture.
- Sprinkle brown sugar over butter remaining in skillet, sprinkle cherries and pecans over brown sugar mixture and arrange pineapple tidbits over cherries. Pour bread mixture over fruit in skillet.
- Bake at 350°F for 35 to 40 minutes, or until bread pudding is set and lightly brown.
- Place a platter or large cake plate over skillet and invert skillet so pudding falls out, upside over plate. Spoon any thing left inside skillet over top.