Prep 10 mins
Cook 45 mins
very simple and good recipe
For the topping
- 1⁄4 cup unsalted butter, melted
- 2⁄3 cup firmly packed light brown sugar
- 3 cups fresh pineapple chunks (1-inch chunks)
For the cake
- 1 1⁄2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons double-acting baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1⁄2 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 2⁄3 cup granulated sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 3⁄4 cup milk
- whipped cream or vanilla ice cream, as an accompaniment
- Make the topping:.
- In a small bowl stir together well the butter and the brown sugar and spread the mixture evenly in a well-buttered 9- by 2-inch round cake pan.
- Pat the pineapple very dry between several thicknesses of paper towel and arrange it evenly on the sugar mixture.
- Make the cake:.
- Preheat the oven to 350°F Into a bowl sift together the flour, the baking powder, the salt, and the cinnamon.
- In another bowl with an electric mixer cream the butter with the sugar until the mixture is light and fluffy, add the eggs, 1 at a time, beating well after each addition, and beat in the vanilla.
- Add the flour mixture alternately in batches with the milk, beginning and ending with the flour mixture and beating well after each addition.
- Pour the batter into the pan, spreading it evenly, and bake the cake in the middle of the oven for 45 to 55 minutes, or until a tester comes out clean.
- Let the cake cool in the pan on a rack for 15 minutes, run a thin knife around the edge, and invert the cake onto a plate.
- Serve the cake warm or at room temperature with the whipped cream or the ice cream.
My mother made great pineapple upside down cakes when I was growing up but this is so much better. My DH said it's the best he's ever had. The cake was so light and fluffy and the pineapple so gooey. This will be my go to recipe for pineapple upside down cake. Thanks for sharing Mizzy.
This was an easy to prepare, simple and good cake that everyone enjoyed eating. Will make again!