Prep 30 mins
Cook 48 mins
This recipe I found in a library cookbook by Kathleen King. The toffee bits in this cake increases the butterscotch flavor with wonderful results.
- 20 ounces .can pineapple slices in juice
- 12 tablespoons salted butter, 4 tbls. sliced and 8 tbls. at room temperature
- 1 cup toffee bits e.g. Skor English toffee bit
- 7 maraschino cherries, drained and stems removed
- 1 1⁄2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 3⁄4 cup white sugar
- 2 large eggs, at room temperature
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 3⁄4 cup low fat Greek yogurt
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Grease well a 9 inch round cake pan.
- Drain pineapple, discarding juice for another use. Reserve 7 pineapple rings. Coarsely chop the remaining pineapple.
- Melt 4 tbls. of sliced butter in the cake pan over medium heat. Remove from heat and sprinkle with toffee bits.
- Arrange pineapple rings in the pan, placing a cherry in the center of each.
- Sift together dry ingredients.
- In another bowl beat sugar and the 8 tbls. butter until light and fluffy, about 3 minutes One at a time beat in the eggs, followed by vanilla, scraping down the bowl as needed.
- At low speed, the the flour mixture in thirds, alternating with the yoghurt. Mix until smooth. Do not overmix.
- Stir in chopped pineapple.
- Spread the batter evenly over pineapple rings and cherries.
- Bake until top is golden and a wooden toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. - about 40 mins.,.
- Let cool in pan 5 minutes.
- Run a knife around the inside of the pan. Place a serving plate over the pan and invert pan and plate together to unmold.