Recipe by justcallmetoni
This recipe reminds me of the dainty bites served at many Chinese bakeries, particulary around New Years. I have not tried this one but am keeping it here for safekeeping. Should you try this before I do, comments on the preparation as well as results are welcome.
Top Review by lcampbellmb
This recipe was terrible - I spent so much time getting it perfect and they looked beautiful - I actually flattened them a bit and used mini tart pans. The crust was bland - tasteless and the filling horrid - I think I will use one with fresh pineapple next time - there is no hope for this recipe even with modifications!
- 2 (20 ounce) cans crushed pineapple in juice
- 1 (8 ounce) can crushed pineapple in juice
- 3⁄4 cup granulated sugar
- 2 cinnamon sticks
- 4 tablespoons cream cheese
- 1⁄2 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 1⁄2 cup powdered sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 1⁄2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- cooking spray
- 1 egg yolk
- 2 teaspoons water
Directions See How It's Made
- For filling: Drain crushed pineapple in a colander, pressing to render as much of the juice as possible. Place pineapple in a large pot with granulated sugar and cinnamon sticks and stir over medium-low heat about 1 hour, until sugar begins crystallizing against the sides of the pan. Remove cinnamon sticks and let pineapple filling cool.
- For pastry: Using a mixer, beat together cream cheese, butter and confectioners' sugar at medium-high speed. Add 2 eggs, baking soda and vanilla and beat until incorporated. Reduce speed to low, add flour and salt until mixed well and dough begins to form ball. Refrigerate dough for 30 to 60 minutes before assembling tarts.
- Preheat oven to 350°F (180°C).
- Lightly spray 2 mini-muffin tins with cooking spray.
- Mix yolk and water together to make a wash.
- Press 1-inch ball round of dough into mini-muffin tin and fill with pineapple. Take remaining dough and roll thin, cutting narrow strips, less than 1/8 inch wide. Use strips to create a double lattice top over each tart. Brush with egg wash and bake 25 minutes.