Recipe by Nana Lee
This tasty pie will surprise your guests, who will have no idea how well pineapple and sweet potatoes go together. If sweet potatoes are hard to find, substitute 1 can (16 oz.) pumpkin instead.
- 9 inches pastry shells, unbaked
- 2 cups cooked mashed sweet potatoes
- 2⁄3 cup brown sugar
- 1⁄4 cup half-and-half cream
- 2 tablespoons butter or 2 tablespoons margarine, melted
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1⁄4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1 (15 1/4 ounce) candel monte pineapple slices in juice
- 1 teaspoon cornstarch
Directions See How It's Made
- Prepare pastry shell; set aside.
- Combine potatoes, sugar, half & half, butter, 1/2 teaspoon vanilla, cinnamon, nutmeg, salt and egg; mix well.
- Pour into pastry shell.
- Bake at 425°F, 25 to 30 minutes; cool.
- Drain pineapple, reserving 1/2 cup juice. Dissolve cornstarch in reserved juice in a saucepan on your stovetop.
- Cook, stirring constantly, until thickened and translucent.
- Add remaining 1/2 teaspoon vanilla.
- This will be a topping for the pie.
- Arrange pineapple over pie.
- Spoon topping over fruit.