1/2 Photos of Pineapple-Stuffed Cornish Game Hens
2 hrs 10 mins
1 hr 30 mins
This recipe came from Hawaii and was recently published in the Taste Of Home magazine. It has a pineapple-coconut stuffing. It is golden brown and wonderfully moist with a sweet sauce. Prep & cook times are approximate.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 (20 ounce) Cornish hens
- 1/2 teaspoon salt, divided
- 1 (8 ounce) can crushed pineapple
- 3 cups cubed day-old bread, 1/2 inch cubes, crusts removed
- 1 celery rib, chopped
- 1/2 cup flaked coconut
- 2/3 cup butter, melted divided
- 1/4 teaspoon poultry seasoning
- 2 tablespoons steak sauce
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 cup water
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1Sprinkle insides of hens with 1/4 teaspoon salt; set aside.
- 2Drain pineapple, reserving juice.
- 3In a bowl, combine the pineapple, bread cubes, celery and coconut.
- 4Add 6 Tablespoons butter; toss to coat.
- 5Loosely stuff hens; tie legs together with kitchen string.
- 6Place on a rack in a greased shallow roasting pan.
- 7Place remaining stuffing in a greased 1-1/2 cup baking dish; cover and set aside.
- 8Add poultry seasoning and remaining salt to remaining butter.
- 9Spoon some of the butter mixture over hens.
- 10Bake, uncovered at 350 degrees for 40 minutes, basting twice with butter mixture.
- 11Stir steak sauce and reserved pineapple juice into remaining butter mixture; baste hens.
- 12Bake reserved stuffing with hens for 30 minutes; baste hens twice.
- 13Uncover stuffing; baste hens with remaining butter mixture.
- 14Bake 15-20 minutes longer or until meat themometer reads 185 degrees for hens and 165 degrees for stuffing in hens.
- 15Remove hens from pan; keep warm.
- 16Pour drippings into a saucepan; skim fat.
- 17Combine cornstarch, brown sugar, water and lemon juice until smooth; add to the drippings.
- 18Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 1-2 minutes or until thickened.
- 19Serve sauce with hens and stuffing.
Browse Our Top Pineapple Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Pineapple-Stuffed Cornish Game Hens
Serving Size: 1 (1114 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 2
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 1583.6
- Calories from Fat 792
- Total Fat 88.1 g
- Saturated Fat 49.3 g
- Cholesterol 678.7 mg
- Sodium 1833.6 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 75.3 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.4 g
- Sugars 40.5 g
- Protein 119.5 g