Prep 5 mins
Cook 10 mins
We love fresh pineapple but it doesn't love us back -- the whole family gets nasty acid burns on our lips and tongues. So I came up with this recipe to give us the fresh pineapple flavor we love without the acid issues. Great made outside on the grill. Great made inside in a skillet. Just plain great.
- Remove top and bottom of pineapple.
- Peel. It is not possible to get all the eyes off without wasting a good deal of the pineapple so compromise on how many eyes you can stand to pick out at the table. Some pineapples have seeds in their eyes, just pop them out with the tip of a paring knife.
- Slice crosswise into rounds about 3/4" thick.
- Brush pineapple slices with soy sauce.
- Heat grill medium hot, brush grill with oil if necessary to prevent sticking.
- OR, heat lightly-greased skillet medium hot.
- Cook pineapple steaks about 5 minutes on each side or until lightly browned, brushing with soy sauce before turning.
- Some people eat the core, some do not.
I served this with grilled chicken breasts marinated in my Recipe #88939 plus Mandy from Oz's Recipe #216575 and some steamed broccoli. The pineapple was great! The soy sauce added interest without overpowering the pineapple flavor. We did eat the core, 'cause why not?
These were excellant! I did cheat a good bit though. I used a 20-ounce can of sliced pineapples instead of fresh and I grilled them on my George Foreman with the lid up. They were still amazing - and they're even better as the sit, the pineapple really soaks up the soy sauce.
Well, we grilled fresh pineapple! Excellent. I brushed soy sauce on both sides of each slice. When each slice was turned I added a teaspoon of brown sugar on top and spread with a spoon. Then I flipped again after the second side was done and spread a little brown sugar on it.I need to cut the salt in the soy sauce and this worked. I served this with shrimp salad and a watermelon and mango salad. Our son does not like pineapple of any kind but I asked him to try this. He ate a big full slice and said for me to make again! I used my inside grill. This is so easy and good! Thank you for posting an excellent recipe and it was not so acidic that it burned or blistered.