1/1 Photo of Pineapple Sour Cream and Meringue Pie
2 hrs 25 mins
New Mom Kate's Note:
A delicious, old recipe passed down from my Great-Grandmother. You will not be disappointed with the flavor. It's rich and creamy with a meringue top! Recipe may look complicated, but it's not -- much of the time spent is waiting for the filling to cool before assembling pie.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 (20 ounce) can crushed pineapple, undrained
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 2 egg yolks, slightly beaten
- 1 pie crust, baked (9-inch)
- 1To make filling, combine sugar, flour and salt in a saucepan. Stir in pineapple, sour cream and lemon juice.
- 2Put saucepan over high heat. Stir and cook mixture until it comes to a boil.
- 3Turn down heat and cook 2 more minutes, stirring constantly.
- 4In a seperate small bowl, stir a small amount of hot filling mixture into egg yolks. (This heats the eggs and prevents them from scrambling when added to the hot saucepan.) Then add eggs to the hot mixture in saucepan, stirring constantly.
- 5Cook and stir for 2 more minutes over medium heat.
- 6Remove from stove and let mixture cool to room temperature (approx. 1-2 hours). Spoon into baked pie shell.
- 7To make meringue, beat egg whites with vanilla and cream of tartar into soft peaks.
- 8Gradually add sugar and keep beating at highest speed until stiff and glossy.
- 9Spread meringue on top of pineapple mixture. Note: Meringue MUST TOUCH pie crust all way around.
- 10Bake at 350 degrees for 12-15 minutes until meringue has a golden color.
- 11Best served immediately when cool. (Does not refrigerate as well.).
Browse Our Top Pie Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Pineapple Sour Cream and Meringue Pie
Serving Size: 1 (167 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 314.0
- Calories from Fat 110
- Total Fat 12.3 g
- Saturated Fat 5.7 g
- Cholesterol 59.8 mg
- Sodium 278.8 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 48.6 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.8 g
- Sugars 36.1 g
- Protein 3.8 g