Recipe by Sassy in da South
Good as a side dish or could be the main entree. If serving as a main entree, this recipe would be appropriate for two.
- 1 cup small cooked shrimp
- 8 canned pineapple rings, drained
- 1⁄2 carrot
- 1 red bell pepper
- 1⁄2 yellow onion, chopped
- 1 green onion, white and green sections
- 1 -2 tablespoon canned hot jalapeno pepper, to taste
- 2 tablespoons oil, for stir-frying (more or less as needed)
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1 teaspoon minced ginger
- 2 cups cold cooked rice, scented jasmine or 2 cups basmati rice, if possible
- 1 -2 tablespoon light soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon curry powder (or to taste)
- sugar, to taste
Directions See How It's Made
- Cut the shrimp in half if desired.
- Cut the pineapple rings into wedges.
- Wash and grate the carrot.
- Wash the bell pepper, remove the seeds and cut into bite-sized chunks.
- Peel and chop the onion.
- Wash and finely chop the green onion.
- Chop the Jalapeno pepper.
- Heat a wok or frying pan over medium to medium-heat.
- Add the oil, rotating the pan so that it coats the bottom and sides.
- When the oil is hot, add the garlic, ginger and chopped Jalapenos.
- Stir-fry for 30 seconds, then add the onion. Stir-fry for 1 minute, then add the red bell pepper and the grated carrot.
- Add the pineapple and the shrimp.
- Stir-fry briefly.
- Add the rice, and cook for about 2 minutes, continually stirring and tossing until it becomes shiny.
- Stir in the soy sauce.
- Stir in the curry powder and sugar.
- Taste and adjust the seasoning if desired. Stir in the green onion or use as a garnish. Serve hot.
- Garnish Suggestions: toasted coconut, crushed peanuts, and/or fresh mint sprigs or cilantro.