Prep 30 mins
Cook 8 hrs
A great way to change up the ice-cream habit! Taken from the Giada De Laurentiis recipe. Cook time is freezing time.
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 2 tablespoons powdered sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3 egg whites
- 1⁄2 cup simple syrup, recipe follows
- 1 (20 ounce) can crushed pineapple, drained
- 1 cup crushed amaretti cookie, for sprinkling
- Spray a 9 1/4 by 5 1/4 by 3-inch (6-cup) metal loaf pan lightly with nonstick spray.
- Line the pan with plastic wrap with enough plastic wrap extending over the sides to cover the top after the pan has been filled.
- In a medium bowl, whip the heavy cream, powdered sugar, and vanilla until stiff peaks form.
- Set aside.
- In another medium bowl, whip egg whites until foamy.
- With the mixer on, slowly add the simple syrup.
- Continue beating on high speed until the mixture is glossy and doubles in volume, about 7 to 10 minutes.
- Using a large rubber spatula, fold the pineapple into the egg whites.
- Fold the whipped cream into the egg white mixture.
- Gently, spoon the mixture into the loaf pan.
- Fold over the plastic wrap to cover and freeze for 8 hours (or up to 1 month).
- To serve: Unfold the plastic wrap.
- Invert the semifreddo onto a cutting board.
- Remove the plastic wrap.
- Cut the semifreddo into 1-inch thick slices.
- Place on individual serving plates and top each slice with the crushed amaretti cookies.
I love this recipe! I saw this on Everyday Italian and just HAD to try it. Yum!