Recipe by ChrisF
This is a recipe for the home gardener, as I have not seen pineapple sage fresh and blooming in the grocery store. But if you grow the plant this is the recipe to show off your talents. The bright red flowers add that bit of wow to this cake!
- 1 cup butter, at room temperature
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1⁄4 cup honey
- 5 eggs
- 2 tablespoons chopped pineapple sage leaves (the small, new leaves are best)
- 3 tablespoons coarsely chopped pineapple sage flowers, if available
- 1 teaspoon grated lemon, rind of
- 4 tablespoons well drained crushed pineapple
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 2 cups flour
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees F.
- Grease and flour four miniature loaf pans*.
- Cream the butter and sugar until very light and fluffy.
- Beat in the honey.
- Add the eggs one at a time, making sure to beat for one minute after each addition.
- Beat in the sage leaves, flowers, lemon peel, and crushed pineapple.
- Stir the dry ingredients together and add to the butter mixture.
- Fold these together gently, until just blended.
- Pour into loaf pans.
- Bake for approximately 45 minutes, or until golden brown (wooden pick inserted into center will come out clean).
- Cool on a rack for 10 minutes, then turn out of pans and continue to cool.
- *Iused a regular size loaf pan just bake a little longer till brown and cake tester come out clean.