Recipe by Terri F.
This is a very moist upside-down cake that can be served warm or at room temp. When left to sit for a while, the pineapple juices permeate the cake and make it even more delicious! Dark rum gives it really good flavor.
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 1⁄2 cup light brown sugar, packed
- 1⁄2 cup rum (dark rum works best)
- 6 slices canned pineapple in juice, drained or 6 slices fresh pineapple, 1/4 inch thick
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 eggs
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 cups flour
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- In a small sauce pan, melt 6 tbsp.
- butter, brown sugar, and 1/4 cup of the rum over low heat.
- Do not use higher heat, as rum will flame!
- Pour mixture into 13x9 baking dish.
- Cut pineapple slices in half and arrange on top of butter and sugar mixture.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine 1 cup softened butter with white sugar and cream with electric mixer.
- Add eggs, one at a time, mixing well after each addition.
- Add vanilla and mix well.
- In a small bowl, combine flour, baking powder and salt and mix well.
- Add flour mixture to batter, a little at a time, mixing well after each addition.
- Add the remaining 1/4 cup rum to the batter and mix well.
- Pour the batter evenly over the pineapple slices and smooth the top.
- Bake about 35 minutes, until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Let cool in the pan 5 minutes before inverting onto a serving platter.