Terri F.'s Note:
This is a very moist upside-down cake that can be served warm or at room temp. When left to sit for a while, the pineapple juices permeate the cake and make it even more delicious! Dark rum gives it really good flavor.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 1/2 cup light brown sugar, packed
- 1/2 cup rum (dark rum works best)
- 6 slices canned pineapple in juice, drained or 6 slices fresh pineapple, 1/4 inch thick
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 eggs
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 cups flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- 2In a small sauce pan, melt 6 tbsp.
- 3butter, brown sugar, and 1/4 cup of the rum over low heat.
- 4Do not use higher heat, as rum will flame!
- 5Pour mixture into 13x9 baking dish.
- 6Cut pineapple slices in half and arrange on top of butter and sugar mixture.
- 7In a large mixing bowl, combine 1 cup softened butter with white sugar and cream with electric mixer.
- 8Add eggs, one at a time, mixing well after each addition.
- 9Add vanilla and mix well.
- 10In a small bowl, combine flour, baking powder and salt and mix well.
- 11Add flour mixture to batter, a little at a time, mixing well after each addition.
- 12Add the remaining 1/4 cup rum to the batter and mix well.
- 13Pour the batter evenly over the pineapple slices and smooth the top.
- 14Bake about 35 minutes, until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- 15Let cool in the pan 5 minutes before inverting onto a serving platter.
Browse Our Top Dessert Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Pineapple - Rum Upside-Down Cake
Serving Size: 1 (138 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 10
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 494.0
- Calories from Fat 238
- Total Fat 26.5 g
- Saturated Fat 16.3 g
- Cholesterol 104.3 mg
- Sodium 308.8 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 54.6 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.9 g
- Sugars 34.9 g
- Protein 4.2 g