Prep 45 mins
Cook 0 mins
I adopted this recipe from Zaar. This is a creamy pineapple custard with rum-flavored whipped cream on top...yum! Just a warning - the rum flavor is very strong (especially for a dessert), so you may want to reduce the rum. Also, adding a little sugar to the whipped cream wouldn't hurt it. I hope you like it!
- 3 1⁄2 teaspoons cornstarch
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 2 eggs, slightly beaten
- 1 cup evaporated milk
- 1⁄4 cup butter, softened
- 1⁄4 cup rum
- 1 cup pineapple tidbits, well drained
- 1⁄2 cup whipping cream, chilled
- 2 tablespoons rum
- maraschino cherry (optional)
- chopped nuts (optional)
- Mix cornstarch and sugar on top of double-broiler (I just set a stainless bowl on top of a saucepan of boiling water).
- Gradually stir in eggs and evaporated milk.
- Cool mixture stirring constantly until thick and coats a spoon.
- Mix in softened butter thoroughly and add rum.
- Let cool.
- Stir pineapple tidbits into cooled custard.
- Pour into individual sundae containers or custard cups (I used 6-6 oz. ramekins).
- Whip cream with rum.
- Top dessert with cream and garnish with cherries and/or nuts.
- Chill before serving.