Recipe by William (Uncle Bill) Anatooskin
This recipe was shared and given to me by Chef Jackie Olden in Palm Springs, CA. It is such a delightful, light dessert and so easy to prepare.
- 1 (20 fluid ounce) can pineapple slices in syrup (Doles is a good one)
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1⁄3 cup granulated sugar, divided
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 1⁄3 cup brandy or 1⁄3 cup cognac
- 2 cups high quality vanilla ice cream
Directions See How It's Made
- Remove 6 rings from can and set aside.
- Refrigerate remainder rings for later use unless you will be preparing all of them.
- In a large frying pan, melt butter on medium-high heat.
- Add 1/4 cup of granulated sugar and cook until frothy, about 2 minutes, stirring often.
- Add 6 pineapple rings to frying pan.
- Sprinkle pineapple rings with about 2 tablespoons of sugar.
- Cook until lightly browned, about 3 minutes.
- Turn pineapple rings over.
- Sprinkle pineapple rings with remaining sugar.
- Sprinkle pineapple rings with lemon juice.
- Continue to fry for another 3 minutes or until lighthly browned.
- In the meantime, measure brandy or cognac into a small saucepan and bring to a light boil.
- When pineapple rings are done, turn down heat.
- Being very careful, tilt the saucepan with brandy and ignite using a match.
- Pour flaming brandy over pineapple rings in small amounts and let the flames die completely.
- Place pineapple rings in serving dishes.
- Scoop vanilla ice cream over pineapple.
- Serve warm.
- If desired, you may sprinkle some crushed pecans or crushed cashews as a sprinkle.