Prep 30 mins
Cook 24 hrs
OK, so this isn't really a loaf. I almost changed it to "dessert," but this is the name I used through my whole childhood when I nagged my mother to make it. To avoid reproachful reviews, please note that this is not spicy, nippy or zippy. If that's what you like, feel free to proceed to the next recipe.
- 1⁄2 cup butter or 1⁄2 cup margarine
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons cream
- 2 eggs, separated
- 1 cup drained crushed pineapple
- 1⁄3 cup pineapple juice
- 2 1⁄2 cups graham cracker crumbs (about 16 squares)
- Cream butter and sugar together.
- Beat egg yolks with cream, placing over hot water to cook slightly.
- When thick and smooth, add to butter and sugar mixture; cool.
- Stir in pineapple and juice and fold in stiffly beaten egg whites.
- Spray a pan (something like a casserole dish or an 8-in. square pan) with nonstick spray.
- Spread about 1/4 of the crumbs on the bottom.
- Over the crumbs spread 1/3 of the pineapple mixture.
- Repeat with alternate layers, ending with the last of the crumbs.
- Cover the pan tightly (One of those Saran quick covers is good.) and refrigerate for 24 hours.
- Serve cold.