SusieQusie & I are in "Recipe Exchange Mode" these days. This sounds so darned good that we might have had an epic tug-of-war over it if she hadn't just conceded it to me w/o complaint. Graham Kerr was her source again & he said: "This is 1 of those old-fashioned cakes that separates into 2 parts - cake & custard. It has a sweet/tart flavor & smooth texture". Thx SQ!
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Coat an 8x8" glass baking dish w/cooking spray.
- Drain pineapple & reserve juice. Spread drained pineapple over bottom of prepared dish.
- Combine sugar (or Splenda), flour & salt in a med bowl.
- Whisk reserved pineapple juice, lemon zest, lemon juice, 2 egg yolks, buttermilk & oil together in a small bowl.
- Pour wet ingredients into flour mixture & mix well.
- Beat the 3 egg whites till stiff (but not dry) & gently fold into the batter.
- Pour batter into baking dish over the top of the pineapple & smooth it out w/a rubber spatula.
- Place the dish into a larger baking pan & set in the oven. Pour hot water into the larger pan to make a water bath about halfway up the smaller dish.
- Bake for 30 minutes or till the top is golden brown & serve warm.