Prep 30 mins
Cook 1 hr
Us Southern girls LOVE a pound cake more than almost anything. I got this recipe from a lady I attend church with and my ex was determined to get the recipe when we divorced. Let's just say that I think he's still looking for it as he discovered I was more of a favorite than he was because she wouldn't let him have it!
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1⁄2 cup shortening (I use butter flavor Crisco)
- 1⁄2 cup butter
- 6 large eggs
- 3 cups sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄4 cup milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 3⁄4 cup crushed pineapple in juice
- Cream sugar, shortening and butter.
- Add eggs, one at at time, blending well after each addition.
- Add baking powder to the flour and mix into the batter 1/2 cup at a time mixing well after each addition.
- Add milk, vanilla and pineapple with juice to batter and blend well.
- Pour the batter into a well greased and floured 10 inch tube pan.
- Place in a cold oven; set oven to 325 degrees and bake for 1 1/2 hours or until done.
I was skeptical when I first saw this recipe because I have only ever made pineapple cake recipes with canned pineapple, but I was given a pineapple last night so I obviously wanted to use fresh. I whipped up this batter and nearly fainted when I tasted it because it was so good, but batters have fooled me before so I still wasn't sold. I just tasted a fresh hot bite right out of the oven, however, and I am ecstatic at how delicious it is! Wow! I made two loaf pans with this recipe. Thanks for this; it's a keeper and will be made again (maybe even tomorrow :-P)
This cake didn't have the consistency of a pound cake in my opinion, and it lacked that good buttery flavor and moisture that I expect from pound cakes. I also felt like it needed more pineapple flavor. I didn't taste the 3/4 cup of crushed pineapple at all. It was very faint. Perhaps a topping would've helped, like the topping shown in the photo, but there isn't any direction or recipe for the glaze. To me, the cake was okay, but it wasn't anything I would ever take the time to make again (especially if I'm craving pineapple).
I have made this a couple times now. It is excellent!!