Prep 20 mins
Cook 1 hr 15 mins
This pound cake calls for an unusual technique of putting the cake batter into a cold oven..but fret not the end result is a beautiful, dense and very moist cake!From Kitchen to Kitchen-The Houston Chronicle. Hope you enjoy.
For The Cake
- 1⁄2 cup shortening
- 1 cup butter
- 2 3⁄4 cups sugar
- 6 large eggs
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄4 cup milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3⁄4 cup crushed pineapple, including liquid
For the Pineapple glaze
- 4 tablespoons butter, melted
- 1 1⁄2 cups powdered sugar
- 1 cup crushed pineapple, drained
- For the Cake:.
- Grease and flour a 10-inch tube pan.
- Cream shortening, butter and sugar in a mixer until light and fluffy (at least 3 minutes).
- Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition.
- Sift together flour and baking powder, then add to creamed mixture alternately with milk and vanilla, beginning and ending with the dry ingredients.
- Stir in the pineapple.
- Pour batter into the prepared pan.
- Place in a cold oven.
- Set the temperature at 325° and bake for one hour and fifteen minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center of the cake comes out clean.
- While cake is baking prepare the Pineapple Glaze.
- Cool the cake ten to fifteen minutes in the pan, then turn it out onto a cake plate.
- Drizzle with the Pineapple Glaze.
- To Make The Glaze:.
- Mix the butter and powdered sugar until smooth.
- Stir in the Pineapple.
I made this cake for a get together with friends and everyone said it was the best pound cake they had ever tasted. I served it with pineapple coconut ice cream.
This was one of the best pound cakes I have ever had .It was just great
OH MY OH MY! How good was this! I made it for an Open House yesterday and the guests loved it. Very moist, great texture and the pineapple is not overwhelming to the flavor. THANKS FOR SHARING!