Prep 0 mins
Cook 0 mins
A pineapple chiffon pie.
- 1 -9 inch graham cracker crust
- 1 (6 ounce) can pineapple juice concentrate, frozen
- 1 (1/4 ounce) envelope unflavored gelatin
- 1⁄4 cup water, cold
- 4 egg yolks, beaten till thick and creamy
- 1⁄2 cup white sugar
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons orange rind, grated
- 4 egg whites
- 1⁄4 cup white sugar
- 2⁄3 cup heavy cream, whipped
- 30 pineapple tidbits
- 6 maraschino cherries
- Soften gelatin in water at least 5 minutes.
- Simmer pineapple juice in a saucepan over low heat until it is reduced to 1/2 cup. Cool.
- Beat egg yolks into pineapple juice. Stir in gelatin and 1/2 cup sugar.
- Place pineapple mixture in the top of a double boiler. Cook for 10 minutes, stirring often.
- Remove from heat. Stir in salt and orange peel.
- Chill until mixture thickens, but do not let it set. It usually takes about 45 minutes.
- Beat egg whites until frothy, then gradually add 1/4 cup sugar while continuing to heat. Beat until stiff peaks form.
- Fold in whipped cream.
- Fold egg white mixture into pineapple mixture, and spoon filling into cool pie shell. Chill.
- Garnish with 6 pineapple flowers made by arranging 5 pineapple tidbits around a maraschino cherry center.