Prep 1 hr
Cook 30 mins
This is a great recipe for all festive occassions. I doubled the recipe so I could have more layers. The cake was huge so everyone had a big portion. I used Non-dairy ready to whip topping instead of the cream. If using heavy whipping cream, u will have to add 2-3tbs confectioners sugar to the cream half way through whipping. Vanilla ice-cream is also a great option, but then the cake will have to kept in the freezer. Transfer to the refrigerator for sometime before serving.
- 50 g flour
- 50 g cornflour
- 3 eggs, separated
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 100 g superfine sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pineapple essence
- 8 ounces crushed pineapple
- 1 1⁄2 cups whipped cream
- 1 cup pineapple syrup
- Pre-heat the oven to 385 degrees F (200 degrees C ). Grease and line an 8" round tin.
- Sieve the flours and the baking powder together 3 times.
- Using an electric blender beat the egg whites to form soft peaks.
- Gradually add sugar and beat till thick.
- Add the yolks one at a time and beat well at low speed till well blended.
- Using a rubber spatula, gently fold in the sieved flours. Do not stir or over-mix.
- Add the essence to a corner of the bowl and fold it in gently.
- Bake for about 20-25mins till firm.
- Once done remove the cake from the tin and cool completely. Slice the cake into two.
- For the filling and icing :.
- Drain the pineapple can and reserve the syrup. Add water to the syrup if necessary to make a cup and add enough sugar to sweeten. Add a few drops of pineapple essence.
- Whip the cream to stiff peaks.
- To assemble the cake :.
- Using a spray bottle or spoon soak one slice of cake in the pineapple syrup. The cake should be moist but still firm.
- Top with a layer of whipped cream and pineapple pieces. Top with the second slice, also soaked in syrup. Cover the top and sides with a thick layer of whipped cream. Decorate with pineapple pieces and whipped cream.
- Refrigerate for 2-3 hrs so it sets well.